Tomato sauce from Tomato paste

Pretty much every time I post "1 can of tomato sauce" in a recipe, I'm actually using tomato paste to make my own sauce, so I figured it was time to post my recipe for that. The store bought tomato sauces pretty much always have garlic/garlic powder and/or onion/onion powder in them...both of which my husband with IBS can't have...or "natural flavors" and other questionable ingredients that I try to avoid...so I've gotten quite used to making my own. It's actually really easy...and you're able to use whatever spices you like and control the flavor more...which is always a plus. :)

This is to make the equivalent of 1 (15 oz.) can of tomato sauce...so if you need more/less, adjust as needed.

Ingredients:
  • 1 small (6 oz.) can tomato paste (I like to get Muir Glen Organic brand)
  • water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • any other spices/flavors you like (some honey for sweetness, fresh garlic if you can tolerate it, etc.)
Directions:
  1. Open the can of tomato paste and scoop into a bowl
  2. Add at least 2 cans (using the tomato paste can) full of water. You can do as many as 3 cans of water if you prefer somewhat soupier sauce. I like mine thicker. 
  3. Add the spices. 
  4. Mix thoroughly with a fork and use as needed. If it's not being added to a dish during the cooking process, I'd suggest heating it before using to allow the herbs to open up a bit and impart more flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

Get Results

Hearty Chicken Soup