Homemade Strawberry Jello
This tastes VERY good. I also believe that if you wanted more of an infused flavor and wanted it clearer (more like store bought jello), you could just strain the water from the strawberries and not puree to get the remaining juice (it won't be much liquid, but it would still taste like strawberries) before adding the gelatin. This serves a good amount. The jello pictured below is in a 2.5 quart glass Pyrex bowl. I honestly didn't measure for any of this, so below is an approximation of what I used. I'd say all the values were towards the higher numbers listed, but I tend to overestimate things sometimes. I'm sure it would work out just fine with the lower values as well, so it doesn't particularly matter.
Ingredients:
Ingredients:
- 2.5 to 3 lbs. strawberries
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tbsp. gelatin
- 3/4 to 1 cup water
- If using fresh (not frozen) strawberries, cut them into pieces. They don't have to be particularly small pieces. I just did this so they'd impart flavor more quickly. If you use frozen, you can just dump them in.
- Put the strawberry pieces in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the honey and water. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes to let the flavors incorporate thoroughly.
- In a separate container (I used the bowl my jello was going in to), mix the gelatin with a splash (maybe 3 tbsp. worth) of water. Make sure the gelatin is completely mixed. Add more water, if need be...though it's fine if the mixture looks grainy as long as there aren't any chunks.
- At this point, you could either throw all of the strawberry mixture into a food processor/blender (a bit at a time, of course...it won't ALL fit) and blend before straining...OR you could strain the strawberry-infused water and then blend the strawberries themselves and push those mashed remains through a fine mesh strainer. The point here is to get as much of the juice as possible while removing/discarding the seeds. So pick your method, and do it.
- Add the strained juice to the gelatin and mix thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Comments
Post a Comment