2nd Grade Homeschooling
When 2nd Grade rolled around, I decided to try to keep things on more of a schedule than I did with K/1st. I also added Art and Music lessons to the mix. Here's a breakdown of the items I used for each subject:
Reading
We used The Well-Trained Mind (TWTM) by Susan Wise Bauer as a resource as to what to read. In my book, the list of suggested reading is on p. 77 for 2nd Grade. Most of the items we read we got from the local library. We read Beowulf, I adapted Sir Gawain and the Green Knight from a college book I had using language the children would understand, got a copy of The Canterbury Tales retold by Geraldine McCaughren, used many library books of child-friendly Shakespeare play adaptations, etc.
Again, I also made sure the children were almost constantly supplied with books of the appropriate reading level(s) from the library for "fun reading"/practice.
Writing
As with 1st grade, I used Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer as a basis for our writing lessons....though I made the narration/dictation myself as opposed to buying their workbooks.
Grammar
I used KISS grammar, 2nd Grade, Level 1 at the following website...
http://www.kissgrammar.org/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm#Grade_Level
Spelling
We started the Spelling Workout series by Modern Curriculum Press suggested in TWTM and made it through both workbooks A and B by the end of the year.
Math
Saxon Math 2
As with Math 1, we didn't do all of everything every day. If I felt my children didn't need the extra practice with something (mainly the things in the Meeting Book), then we didn't do it.
History
The Story of the World: Vol. 2 by Susan Wise Bauer. As with 1st grade, I made up my own questions for the chapters and scanned the pictures/maps from the book for supplemental materials/coloring pages. We also supplemented with library books and the Encyclopedia of World History (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-History/dp/0794528333/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436668840&sr=8-3&keywords=encyclopedia+of+world+history).
Science
TWTM suggests studying Earth, climate, astronomy, and space for 2nd grade. We did this using a Encyclopedias and supplementing with numerous books from the library. For my specific encyclopedias, I used The Encyclopedia of Earth (http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Earth-Complete-Visual-Guide/dp/0520254716/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668570&sr=1-2&keywords=encyclopedia+earth), The Usborne Science Encyclopedia (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Science-Encyclopedia-Discovery/dp/0794503314/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668587&sr=1-4&keywords=usborne+science+encyclopedia), and Child's Introduction to the Night Sky (http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Night-Sky-Constellations--/dp/157912366X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668742&sr=1-1&keywords=child+night+sky)...though, for the most part, I used library books. I also found coloring pages on the internet for supplementary materials (for example, I'd search for "volcano coloring page" or something similar).
Art
I would print them coloring pages of famous Medieval artwork, got books from the library with Medieval/Early Renaissance art, read about some of the artists, etc.
Music
We listened to "Beethoven's Wig" CDs, watched youtube videos about the sections of an orchestra, read about some of the composers via library books, etc.
...and a week-by-week snapshot...
Reading
We used The Well-Trained Mind (TWTM) by Susan Wise Bauer as a resource as to what to read. In my book, the list of suggested reading is on p. 77 for 2nd Grade. Most of the items we read we got from the local library. We read Beowulf, I adapted Sir Gawain and the Green Knight from a college book I had using language the children would understand, got a copy of The Canterbury Tales retold by Geraldine McCaughren, used many library books of child-friendly Shakespeare play adaptations, etc.
Again, I also made sure the children were almost constantly supplied with books of the appropriate reading level(s) from the library for "fun reading"/practice.
Writing
As with 1st grade, I used Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer as a basis for our writing lessons....though I made the narration/dictation myself as opposed to buying their workbooks.
Grammar
I used KISS grammar, 2nd Grade, Level 1 at the following website...
http://www.kissgrammar.org/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm#Grade_Level
Spelling
We started the Spelling Workout series by Modern Curriculum Press suggested in TWTM and made it through both workbooks A and B by the end of the year.
Math
Saxon Math 2
As with Math 1, we didn't do all of everything every day. If I felt my children didn't need the extra practice with something (mainly the things in the Meeting Book), then we didn't do it.
History
The Story of the World: Vol. 2 by Susan Wise Bauer. As with 1st grade, I made up my own questions for the chapters and scanned the pictures/maps from the book for supplemental materials/coloring pages. We also supplemented with library books and the Encyclopedia of World History (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-History/dp/0794528333/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436668840&sr=8-3&keywords=encyclopedia+of+world+history).
Science
TWTM suggests studying Earth, climate, astronomy, and space for 2nd grade. We did this using a Encyclopedias and supplementing with numerous books from the library. For my specific encyclopedias, I used The Encyclopedia of Earth (http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Earth-Complete-Visual-Guide/dp/0520254716/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668570&sr=1-2&keywords=encyclopedia+earth), The Usborne Science Encyclopedia (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Science-Encyclopedia-Discovery/dp/0794503314/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668587&sr=1-4&keywords=usborne+science+encyclopedia), and Child's Introduction to the Night Sky (http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Night-Sky-Constellations--/dp/157912366X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436668742&sr=1-1&keywords=child+night+sky)...though, for the most part, I used library books. I also found coloring pages on the internet for supplementary materials (for example, I'd search for "volcano coloring page" or something similar).
Art
I would print them coloring pages of famous Medieval artwork, got books from the library with Medieval/Early Renaissance art, read about some of the artists, etc.
Music
We listened to "Beethoven's Wig" CDs, watched youtube videos about the sections of an orchestra, read about some of the composers via library books, etc.
...and a week-by-week snapshot...
Second Grade
Week 12 – Science-glaciers; history Ch. 16-English
language/castles/classes; spelling workout A, lessons 23&24; math lessons
45-48; Grammar-Lessons 43-45 (pronouns); Writing (helping verbs); Reading-
Saint George and the Dragon
Week 13 – Science-land types; history Ch. 17-knights and
samurai; spelling workout A, lessons 25&26; math lessons 49-52; Grammar-Lessons 46-47 (adjective);
Writing (contractions and direct quotations); Reading- Romeo and Juliet
Week 14 – Science-land types; history Ch. 18-crusades;
spelling workout A, lessons 27&28; math lessons 53-56; Grammar-Lessons
48-50 (adverbs); Writing (contractions and direct quotations); Reading- Romeo
and Juliet
Week 15 – Science-ocean; history-Ch. 19-Richard the
lionhearted/Robin Hood; spelling workout A, lessons 29&30; math lessons
57-60; Grammar-Lessons 51-54 (adjectives/adverbs); Writing (adjectives);
Reading –A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Week 16 – Science-coral reef; history Ch. 21-Genghis
Khan/Monguls; spelling workout A, lessons 31&32; math lessons 61-64;
Grammar-Lessons 55-58 (apostrophes); Writing (predicate adjectives); Reading- A
Midsummer Night’s Dream
Week 17 – Science-mining; history ch. 22-Marco Polo/Ming;
spelling workout A, lessons 33&34; math lessons 65-68; Grammar-Lessons
59-64 (compounds); Writing (interjections); Reading- Hamlet
Week 18 – Science-dams/natural energy; history Ch.
23-Russians/Ivan the terrible; spelling workout A, lessons 35&36; math
lessons 69-72; Grammar-Lessons 65-67 (prepositions); Writing (conjunctions);
Reading- Hamlet
Comments
Post a Comment