Autoimmune Protocol (AIP paleo) Breakfasts
When I decided to give AIP paleo a try for my son (Celiac with multiple cross-reactions), my main concern was breakfasts...as our previous breakfasts every morning were scrambled eggs. Eggs aren't allowed on AIP paleo...so then, what does one eat?
Here are a few of the items I make for me/mine...
#1 - Smoothies
The possible combinations for smoothies are almost endless...whatever fruit you like with a liquid of some sort, possibly even some veggies...blend and serve. Here are my family's favorite combinations (all are with orange juice, but you could use coconut milk if you prefer):
-strawberry, banana, orange juice
-strawberry, pineapple, peach, blueberry, orange juice
-mixed berries, orange juice
...and sometimes I even add some kale or spinach with a tbsp. or so of honey. The kale/spinach doesn't look pretty...but it still tastes fine.
I also sometimes add some gelatin...which doesn't affect the flavor.
#2 - Fruit Salad
This one's very easy to make the night before for the next morning. Sometimes I use frozen fruit, sometimes not...often a mixture of the two (made the night before so the frozen has time to defrost in the fridge). My fruit salad generally consists of a combination of strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, cantaloupe, pineapple, banana slices, and orange...with a lime or lemon juiced over the top to keep the banana from browning. You could also use apples, pears, or any other fruit you like.
#3 - Tuna Salad
This is another easy one with little/no prep involved. I usually take some kale and spinach, wash and break it into pieces, and top it with the tuna fish (or sometimes sardines or other canned fish). Drizzle some olive oil or juice a lime/lemon over the top and serve.
#4 - Fake "Oatmeal"
Mash a banana or two in a bowl and top with berries/fruit. Could also be done with applesauce. Eat like it's cereal. You could even add honey or coconut milk, if desired.
#5 - Breakfast Skillet
This one takes a little more prep work...but lasts a lot longer than any of the others. I have 4 children...and this will generally last them 3-4 breakfasts. Mine generally consists of 4-5 carrots (peeled and sliced), 1 butternut squash (peeled and diced), 2-3 zucchini (sliced), a few handfuls of kale (chopped), a few handfuls of spinach (chopped), a stalk of celery (diced), and meat (sometimes 2 lbs. of ground beef, sometimes ground pork, sometimes a mixture of the two). I brown the meat, add the veggies and a bit of liquid (1-2 cups beef broth)...then season with about 2 tsp. salt, the juice of a lime/lemon/orange, and sometimes some apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar (just a splash).
You could also use different/other veggies...some ideas are broccoli, collard greens, mushrooms, etc. You could even add some fruit if you like that (apples would probably be tasty and add a bit of sweetness).
#6 - Meatballs
Season how you like (salt, sage, etc.), roll meat into ball shape, and sear in pan until browned on all sides and cooked through. Serve with a green salad or sides of fruit/veggies.
#7 - Pork sausage patties
Again, season the pork (I usually do 1-2 lbs.) how you like (I prefer salt and sage), press into patties, and brown until cooked through. Serve atop a green salad or with sides of fruit/veggies.
#8 - Leftovers
You could, of course, always have leftovers for any meal in the day. I generally do my leftovers for lunch...though I have done them for both breakfast and lunch before.
...and here are some links to other recipes/ideas in case none of the above appeal to you...or you prefer more variety...
http://salixisme.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/30-aip-paleo-breakfast-ideas/
http://therealfoodguide.com/egg-free-paleo-breakfast-ideas/
http://www.thepaleomom.com/aip-friendly
Here are a few of the items I make for me/mine...
#1 - Smoothies
The possible combinations for smoothies are almost endless...whatever fruit you like with a liquid of some sort, possibly even some veggies...blend and serve. Here are my family's favorite combinations (all are with orange juice, but you could use coconut milk if you prefer):
-strawberry, banana, orange juice
-strawberry, pineapple, peach, blueberry, orange juice
-mixed berries, orange juice
...and sometimes I even add some kale or spinach with a tbsp. or so of honey. The kale/spinach doesn't look pretty...but it still tastes fine.
I also sometimes add some gelatin...which doesn't affect the flavor.
#2 - Fruit Salad
This one's very easy to make the night before for the next morning. Sometimes I use frozen fruit, sometimes not...often a mixture of the two (made the night before so the frozen has time to defrost in the fridge). My fruit salad generally consists of a combination of strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, cantaloupe, pineapple, banana slices, and orange...with a lime or lemon juiced over the top to keep the banana from browning. You could also use apples, pears, or any other fruit you like.
#3 - Tuna Salad
This is another easy one with little/no prep involved. I usually take some kale and spinach, wash and break it into pieces, and top it with the tuna fish (or sometimes sardines or other canned fish). Drizzle some olive oil or juice a lime/lemon over the top and serve.
#4 - Fake "Oatmeal"
Mash a banana or two in a bowl and top with berries/fruit. Could also be done with applesauce. Eat like it's cereal. You could even add honey or coconut milk, if desired.
#5 - Breakfast Skillet
This one takes a little more prep work...but lasts a lot longer than any of the others. I have 4 children...and this will generally last them 3-4 breakfasts. Mine generally consists of 4-5 carrots (peeled and sliced), 1 butternut squash (peeled and diced), 2-3 zucchini (sliced), a few handfuls of kale (chopped), a few handfuls of spinach (chopped), a stalk of celery (diced), and meat (sometimes 2 lbs. of ground beef, sometimes ground pork, sometimes a mixture of the two). I brown the meat, add the veggies and a bit of liquid (1-2 cups beef broth)...then season with about 2 tsp. salt, the juice of a lime/lemon/orange, and sometimes some apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar (just a splash).
You could also use different/other veggies...some ideas are broccoli, collard greens, mushrooms, etc. You could even add some fruit if you like that (apples would probably be tasty and add a bit of sweetness).
#6 - Meatballs
Season how you like (salt, sage, etc.), roll meat into ball shape, and sear in pan until browned on all sides and cooked through. Serve with a green salad or sides of fruit/veggies.
#7 - Pork sausage patties
Again, season the pork (I usually do 1-2 lbs.) how you like (I prefer salt and sage), press into patties, and brown until cooked through. Serve atop a green salad or with sides of fruit/veggies.
#8 - Leftovers
You could, of course, always have leftovers for any meal in the day. I generally do my leftovers for lunch...though I have done them for both breakfast and lunch before.
...and here are some links to other recipes/ideas in case none of the above appeal to you...or you prefer more variety...
http://salixisme.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/30-aip-paleo-breakfast-ideas/
http://therealfoodguide.com/egg-free-paleo-breakfast-ideas/
http://www.thepaleomom.com/aip-friendly
Comments
Post a Comment