Primal Pizza
This recipe was adapted from a recipe of the same name on FastPaleo.com. For the original recipe, you can go here: http://fastpaleo.com/primal-pizza/
If, like me, you like thinner crusts, spread the following crust recipe to fit a regular-sized round pizza pan and a 13x9 rectangular cookie sheet. If you want a thicker crust, then just do one pan or double the recipe for both pans. Feeds about 5-6 people when 2 pizzas are made (about 3 pieces/each).
The recipe shown below was 3 cheese with spinach and black olives. I had some leftover spinach that I picked and cooked from my garden yesterday and just decided to add it and some canned olives at the last minute.
Crust Ingredients:
Directions for crust:
If, like me, you like thinner crusts, spread the following crust recipe to fit a regular-sized round pizza pan and a 13x9 rectangular cookie sheet. If you want a thicker crust, then just do one pan or double the recipe for both pans. Feeds about 5-6 people when 2 pizzas are made (about 3 pieces/each).
The recipe shown below was 3 cheese with spinach and black olives. I had some leftover spinach that I picked and cooked from my garden yesterday and just decided to add it and some canned olives at the last minute.
Crust Ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp. and 1 1/2 tsp. coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. and 1 1/2 tsp. flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup full fat milk (or coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- NOTE: I've also made the crust using just 1/3 almond flour and 1/3 cup coconut flour and then omitting the flax seed entirely. I think I like this combination slightly better. While the almond/coconut mix is good, it was slightly too sweet for my liking. I don't particularly like flax seed...but think the above combination of ingredients is a happy medium taste-wise.
I also once accidentally forgot the milk (and, as a result, had to double everything for 2 crusts), but I liked the texture better when I did that...so it's a good option if the texture seems "off" to you. :)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 cup cooked spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Other topping options include:
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella cheese
- mushrooms (cook before broiling), black olives, and cheese
- tomatoes, basil, and Mozzarella
- etc.
Directions for crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients. Spread butter over the pans and cover them with parchment paper. This will prevent sticking and make clean up SO much easier. The butter will help hold the parchment paper to the pan instead of it rolling up while you're trying to spread the dough.
- The dough will be very liquid. Place on pizza pan or cookie sheet (or both for the thinner crust). Spread out until it almost reaches the edges of the parchment paper/pans.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Use aluminum foil to help flip the crust over and bake the opposite side for 10 minutes.
- While the crusts are baking, put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and leave on low heat until the crusts finish (about 5-10 minutes).
- Also, while the crusts are baking, prep whatever toppings you would like.
- Once the crusts are finished on both sides, top with sauce and whatever toppings you like. Broil for 60 seconds (slightly less if you're using the thinner crust).
Comments
Post a Comment