I'm tired...
It's something you hear every parent say at some point in their life. "I'm tired." "I've had enough." "I can't do this anymore."
Well, today, I'm tired of Celiac Disease.
I'm tired of having to read every label every time I go to the grocery store.
I'm tired of hearing, "My tummy hurts" and wondering whether it's Celiac related or a stomach bug...and, often, not being able to tell the difference.
I'm tired of being woken up a 2 a.m. because my child is vomiting or has diarrhea.
I'm tired of things labelled "Gluten Free" that just plain aren't.
I'm tired of GI doctors doubting me when I tell them my son's not getting gluten from anywhere.
I'm tired of having to keep food journals.
I'm tired of feeling like I have to homeschool because it's safer for them food-wise and I worry they'd get bullied because of something they can't control.
I'm tired of feeling like no one takes us seriously. Waiters and waitresses roll their eyes, "Gluten Free" foods are cooked in the same oil as other foods (therefore, they're NOT Gluten Free), etc.
I'm tired of the "Gluten Free Fad" making us feel like a laughing stock...and making things more difficult for us.
I'm tired of worrying about whether my children are growing enough...having to check their nutrient levels constantly to make sure they're absorbing things as they should.
I'm tired of the constant blood work. My son has had blood drawn more in the first 8 years of his life than I've had in my entire lifetime.
I'm tired of knowing WAY too much concerning my children's bowel movements...and of having to keep track of them because they're one of the few ways to know everything's going well without having to get blood drawn.
I'm tired of feeling left out of events.
I'm tired of every single event ever being food-related.
I'm tired of having to see the sad faces when there's nothing safe for my children to eat at an event.
I'm tired of having to cook everything all the time. I'm tired of meal planning...and I'm tired of feeling like we rotate the same things every few weeks.
I'm tired of holidays being centered around food or candy my children can't have (and, therefore, things they can't participate in fully).
I'm tired of things labeled "Gluten Free" but still "Processed on shared lines". (My son will react to it.)...and I'm tired that companies AREN'T REQUIRED TO label products as processed on shared lines and that they don't have to put "may contain" statements on those products (currently, that information is voluntary and completely up to the company).
I'm tired of feeling anxiety anytime we try a different Gluten Free brand.
I'm tired of having to check any and all food they're offered when we're out and about (food at a friend's house, neighbor trying to give them candy, etc.).
I'm tired of having to check all medications, vaccinations, vitamins, etc. to make sure they're safe (my son also can't have egg)...and I'm VERY annoyed that medications and vitamins are NOT currently required to list the top 8 allergens in their ingredient information.
I'm tired of having to check lip gloss, face wash, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soaps, and other things that aren't food...but could end up in your mouth at some point (whether on accident...or by eating with your hands or licking something from off your cheek/arm/fingers).
I'm tired of having to say "Don't eat that!" when their food gets dropped or touches something unsafe (shared utensils at a potluck, candy dropped on the floor, etc. Kids are gross and will try to eat anything).
I'm tired of spending more than our rent on groceries.
I'm tired of the "That's a lot of (insert food)" comments at the grocery store.
I'm tired of feeling like I'm never doing enough to keep them safe because the rest of the world just doesn't get it.
I'm tired of having to keep myself together for the sake of my children.
I'm tired of feeling alone.
I'm tired of Celiac Disease.
Well, today, I'm tired of Celiac Disease.
I'm tired of having to read every label every time I go to the grocery store.
I'm tired of hearing, "My tummy hurts" and wondering whether it's Celiac related or a stomach bug...and, often, not being able to tell the difference.
I'm tired of being woken up a 2 a.m. because my child is vomiting or has diarrhea.
I'm tired of things labelled "Gluten Free" that just plain aren't.
I'm tired of GI doctors doubting me when I tell them my son's not getting gluten from anywhere.
I'm tired of having to keep food journals.
I'm tired of feeling like I have to homeschool because it's safer for them food-wise and I worry they'd get bullied because of something they can't control.
I'm tired of feeling like no one takes us seriously. Waiters and waitresses roll their eyes, "Gluten Free" foods are cooked in the same oil as other foods (therefore, they're NOT Gluten Free), etc.
I'm tired of the "Gluten Free Fad" making us feel like a laughing stock...and making things more difficult for us.
I'm tired of worrying about whether my children are growing enough...having to check their nutrient levels constantly to make sure they're absorbing things as they should.
I'm tired of the constant blood work. My son has had blood drawn more in the first 8 years of his life than I've had in my entire lifetime.
I'm tired of knowing WAY too much concerning my children's bowel movements...and of having to keep track of them because they're one of the few ways to know everything's going well without having to get blood drawn.
I'm tired of feeling left out of events.
I'm tired of every single event ever being food-related.
I'm tired of having to see the sad faces when there's nothing safe for my children to eat at an event.
I'm tired of having to cook everything all the time. I'm tired of meal planning...and I'm tired of feeling like we rotate the same things every few weeks.
I'm tired of holidays being centered around food or candy my children can't have (and, therefore, things they can't participate in fully).
I'm tired of things labeled "Gluten Free" but still "Processed on shared lines". (My son will react to it.)...and I'm tired that companies AREN'T REQUIRED TO label products as processed on shared lines and that they don't have to put "may contain" statements on those products (currently, that information is voluntary and completely up to the company).
I'm tired of having to check any and all food they're offered when we're out and about (food at a friend's house, neighbor trying to give them candy, etc.).
I'm tired of having to check all medications, vaccinations, vitamins, etc. to make sure they're safe (my son also can't have egg)...and I'm VERY annoyed that medications and vitamins are NOT currently required to list the top 8 allergens in their ingredient information.
I'm tired of having to check lip gloss, face wash, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soaps, and other things that aren't food...but could end up in your mouth at some point (whether on accident...or by eating with your hands or licking something from off your cheek/arm/fingers).
I'm tired of having to say "Don't eat that!" when their food gets dropped or touches something unsafe (shared utensils at a potluck, candy dropped on the floor, etc. Kids are gross and will try to eat anything).
I'm tired of spending more than our rent on groceries.
I'm tired of the "That's a lot of (insert food)" comments at the grocery store.
I'm tired of feeling like I'm never doing enough to keep them safe because the rest of the world just doesn't get it.
I'm tired of having to keep myself together for the sake of my children.
I'm tired of never getting a break.
I'm tired of feeling alone.
I'm tired of Celiac Disease.


Comments
Post a Comment