A Better Chili Recipe

I posted a chili recipe awhile back...and while it was good, I think I've come to like this one even better. It's not quite as simple as the other recipe (the other was a set it and forget it all day type of dish)...but it's not too difficult once you've chopped everything either. Based on the recipe "Primal Beef Chili" at http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/primal-beef-chili/ . This has been tweaked to better suit myself and my families' tastes. The original recipe was just too spicy for my children and I felt that while it was overly spicy, it lacked actual flavor (all spice, no flavor). This is 100% gluten free and paleo/primal-friendly.


Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. ground beef (grass fed is always best flavor-wise...but use what you can afford)
  • 6 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (sometimes I add these, sometimes not...just depends on my mood)
  • 1/2 tsp. - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you want even more spice/bite)
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup beef broth 
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tbsp. gluten free balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar...either are good)
  • 1 small to average-sized butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/4"-1/2" cubes

Directions:
  1. Chop everything and add all the ingredients together in a large stockpot. Place over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the beef is fairly browned and broken up into bits (no clumps) and the liquid is starting to boil. 
  2. Cover, change heat to medium-low and continue simmering for about an hour, until the carrots are soft and the squash is cooked through completely. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

Get Results

Hearty Chicken Soup