You think you might want to homeschool...now what?
When thinking about beginning to homeschool, the first thing to consider is what the law says concerning it for your state of residence. You can find out more information about that here: http://www.hslda.org/laws/
...and here's a helpful link for those specifically in Utah: http://www.homeschoolinginutah.com/gettingstarted/wheretobegin.aspx
Now, assuming you're willing/able to abide by the homeschooling laws in your state, the next step would be to choose a curriculum to follow. There are TONS of curricula out there...so do some research, search online or go to your local library and read about them/sample them if you can, find one that you think you'll like (and, of course, that you/your family can afford to follow), and go for it.
Many states offer free curricula for homeschoolers. I know here in Utah, there are several programs (including K-12/Utah Virtual Academy (http://www.k12.com/), Alpine Online School (http://alpineonline.alpineschools.org/), Weber Online (http://weberonline.wsd.net/), etc.) that are FREE for any resident living in Utah. Basically, these are state-supported online homeschooling programs. They send you all the materials you'll need to homeschool (books, lessons, worksheets, microscopes, computers even, etc.) FREE of charge. Some of the drawbacks of these programs are that you don't have free reign over what you decide (or decide not) to teach to your children (it's still run by the state...so they choose the curricula), you still have to answer to someone else with what you're teaching (I know here you have to check in with a regular public school teacher every once in a while), and (this may or may not be a drawback to you, but for my kindergartener, I didn't like the idea) they approximate that about 30% of the program will involve your child to be on the computer (playing educational games, watching instructional videos, taking tests, etc.).
If you decide that these free options aren't for you...don't worry, there are other options. I have several friends that use all-in-one curricula that they buy (or print/download for free) online. Some of them include Calvert School (http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/), the Ron Paul curriculum (http://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/public/department13.cfm), the FREE Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool (http://allinonehomeschool.com/), Time 4 Learning (http://www.time4learning.com/), Sonlight Christian Homeschool (http://www.sonlight.com/?t=3&utm_expid=159661-5), Memoria Press (http://www.memoriapress.com/), etc.
OR you can do what I did and build your own curriculum based on teaching approaches you liked. There are several options for approaches out there...including the Charlotte Mason Method (http://www.homeschool-curriculum.org/charlotte-mason.html and http://www.amblesideonline.org/), The Well-Trained Mind Approach (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/), the Classical Approach (http://clrchomeschool.com/), Eclectic Homeschooling (http://eclectichomeschool.org/), Unschooling (http://zenhabits.net/unschool/), etc.
Once you've decided on your curricula, the next step would be to order your supplies (assuming, of course, that you didn't pick a free one or order from one of the all-in-one sites). Here are some of my favorite sites to order from:
1-Rainbow Resource Center (https://www.rainbowresource.com) <-This site is AWESOME. Tons of items...and usually at the cheapest prices that I can find (even better than Amazon oftentimes). Also recently started offering free shipping on order over $50 in the U.S...which, for me, is most orders. :)
2-Adoremus Books (http://www.adoremusbooks.com/) <-Many of the times I've ordered from Amazon, it was actually coming from this business. Also, if you intend to teach your kids Latin, they're the best price I've found for it.
3-Amazon.com or Ebay.com
4-You might want to search for local homeschooling (or teaching supply) stores in your area. Here there's a nice little store called Utah Idaho Supply/Map World. It has tons of homeschooling supplies (workbooks, scales, math manipulatives, art supplies, lined writing paper for young children, etc.) and some really awesome laminated (and un-laminated) maps.
5-I've also found some decent things at the local Dollar Tree. I got several of my math manipulatives (colored blocks, army men to count, foam clocks for reading time, etc.) there...as well as sometimes getting the kindergarten/first grade specially lined paper there for children learning to write and animal coloring books to use as coloring pages for whatever animal we've just studied in science. You can't go wrong when it's only $1. lol
6-If you're not opposed to used books, I know there are homeschooling book exchanges out there (and oftentimes if you join a homeschooling group, people will periodically sell off some of their supplies; there's also a homeschool book swap group on yahoo). You can oftentimes get things at decent prices (and sometimes free) this way.
Try to find a local homeschooling support group in your area (http://www.home-school.com/groups/). The more you talk with other homeschoolers, the better you will feel about the transition and, hopefully, the easier it will be for you. They're a great source for asking questions (and, no worries, there are no dumb questions), getting more information about your local area, and giving experiences about curricula (and even oftentimes letting you go over to sample them if you wish). Homeschoolers are all for helping out other homeschoolers.
Also, bookmark homeschooling sites that you come across and like. Once you've become part of a local group, chances are they'll post links to homeschooling games, printable worksheets, coloring page sites, etc. that you'll find useful...so be sure to take advantage of them.
I think that about covers it all for the main things when you're considering homeschooling. The only thing I might add is to remember that things don't have to be perfect, take it one day at a time, don't let it overwhelm you (which, I know, is easier said than done). If you need to take a break for a while, do so. One of the best things about homeschooling is being able to create your own schedule...AND being able to adjust that schedule if needed. Just do your best and everything will work out just fine.
...and here's a helpful link for those specifically in Utah: http://www.homeschoolinginutah.com/gettingstarted/wheretobegin.aspx
Now, assuming you're willing/able to abide by the homeschooling laws in your state, the next step would be to choose a curriculum to follow. There are TONS of curricula out there...so do some research, search online or go to your local library and read about them/sample them if you can, find one that you think you'll like (and, of course, that you/your family can afford to follow), and go for it.
Many states offer free curricula for homeschoolers. I know here in Utah, there are several programs (including K-12/Utah Virtual Academy (http://www.k12.com/), Alpine Online School (http://alpineonline.alpineschools.org/), Weber Online (http://weberonline.wsd.net/), etc.) that are FREE for any resident living in Utah. Basically, these are state-supported online homeschooling programs. They send you all the materials you'll need to homeschool (books, lessons, worksheets, microscopes, computers even, etc.) FREE of charge. Some of the drawbacks of these programs are that you don't have free reign over what you decide (or decide not) to teach to your children (it's still run by the state...so they choose the curricula), you still have to answer to someone else with what you're teaching (I know here you have to check in with a regular public school teacher every once in a while), and (this may or may not be a drawback to you, but for my kindergartener, I didn't like the idea) they approximate that about 30% of the program will involve your child to be on the computer (playing educational games, watching instructional videos, taking tests, etc.).
If you decide that these free options aren't for you...don't worry, there are other options. I have several friends that use all-in-one curricula that they buy (or print/download for free) online. Some of them include Calvert School (http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/), the Ron Paul curriculum (http://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/public/department13.cfm), the FREE Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool (http://allinonehomeschool.com/), Time 4 Learning (http://www.time4learning.com/), Sonlight Christian Homeschool (http://www.sonlight.com/?t=3&utm_expid=159661-5), Memoria Press (http://www.memoriapress.com/), etc.
OR you can do what I did and build your own curriculum based on teaching approaches you liked. There are several options for approaches out there...including the Charlotte Mason Method (http://www.homeschool-curriculum.org/charlotte-mason.html and http://www.amblesideonline.org/), The Well-Trained Mind Approach (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/), the Classical Approach (http://clrchomeschool.com/), Eclectic Homeschooling (http://eclectichomeschool.org/), Unschooling (http://zenhabits.net/unschool/), etc.
Once you've decided on your curricula, the next step would be to order your supplies (assuming, of course, that you didn't pick a free one or order from one of the all-in-one sites). Here are some of my favorite sites to order from:
1-Rainbow Resource Center (https://www.rainbowresource.com) <-This site is AWESOME. Tons of items...and usually at the cheapest prices that I can find (even better than Amazon oftentimes). Also recently started offering free shipping on order over $50 in the U.S...which, for me, is most orders. :)
2-Adoremus Books (http://www.adoremusbooks.com/) <-Many of the times I've ordered from Amazon, it was actually coming from this business. Also, if you intend to teach your kids Latin, they're the best price I've found for it.
3-Amazon.com or Ebay.com
4-You might want to search for local homeschooling (or teaching supply) stores in your area. Here there's a nice little store called Utah Idaho Supply/Map World. It has tons of homeschooling supplies (workbooks, scales, math manipulatives, art supplies, lined writing paper for young children, etc.) and some really awesome laminated (and un-laminated) maps.
5-I've also found some decent things at the local Dollar Tree. I got several of my math manipulatives (colored blocks, army men to count, foam clocks for reading time, etc.) there...as well as sometimes getting the kindergarten/first grade specially lined paper there for children learning to write and animal coloring books to use as coloring pages for whatever animal we've just studied in science. You can't go wrong when it's only $1. lol
6-If you're not opposed to used books, I know there are homeschooling book exchanges out there (and oftentimes if you join a homeschooling group, people will periodically sell off some of their supplies; there's also a homeschool book swap group on yahoo). You can oftentimes get things at decent prices (and sometimes free) this way.
Try to find a local homeschooling support group in your area (http://www.home-school.com/groups/). The more you talk with other homeschoolers, the better you will feel about the transition and, hopefully, the easier it will be for you. They're a great source for asking questions (and, no worries, there are no dumb questions), getting more information about your local area, and giving experiences about curricula (and even oftentimes letting you go over to sample them if you wish). Homeschoolers are all for helping out other homeschoolers.
Also, bookmark homeschooling sites that you come across and like. Once you've become part of a local group, chances are they'll post links to homeschooling games, printable worksheets, coloring page sites, etc. that you'll find useful...so be sure to take advantage of them.
I think that about covers it all for the main things when you're considering homeschooling. The only thing I might add is to remember that things don't have to be perfect, take it one day at a time, don't let it overwhelm you (which, I know, is easier said than done). If you need to take a break for a while, do so. One of the best things about homeschooling is being able to create your own schedule...AND being able to adjust that schedule if needed. Just do your best and everything will work out just fine.
Comments
Post a Comment