Beef Roast with Mashed Butternut Squash

Somehow, I've never posted just a regular beef roast recipe. How is that? I'm not sure...but it's about to be remedied...

This recipe was adapted from "Braised Chuck Roast" by Kristin Jekielek at http://fastpaleo.com/braised-chuck-roast/. Serves 6-8. 100% gluten free (and casein free if using ghee) and paleo/primal.


Ingredients for the Chuck Roast:
  • AT LEAST a 3 lb. chuck roast (I usually try to get closer to a 5-6 lb. roast so it lasts longer...or even cook two 3 lb.-ers at once. lol); fattier, more marbled roasts are best
  • 1 tbsp. oregano
  • 1 tbsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. cumin
  • 1 tbsp. mustard powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1-2 tsp. salt (depending on how salty you like things)
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 2-3 cups of water or broth (enough so that it's at least 3/4 submerged...but you don't want so much that it's floating in liquid)
Directions for the Chuck Roast: 
  1. Preheat your oven to 250F. 
  2. Place the roast(s) in the bottom of a stock pot. Add the seasonings and vinegar. Add the tomato sauce. Add the water.
    NOTE: I usually do NOT sear the meat first as instructed in the original recipe. I've never really noticed a taste difference when I have...and if you buy a super lean piece of meat (I always go for the fattier/most-marbled pieces I can find), it's not going to taste all that great regardless of whether it was seared first or not.
  3. Cover and cook in the oven for 6-8 hours...until falling apart...basting it with its own juices/liquids every hour or two. You can also use a crockpot on a low setting...but it may take slightly longer. Also, you could cook this in the oven at 350F for 3-4 hours...but I think the flavor is best at a low, slow temperature.
  4. Remove from the oven and allow the roast to cool for several minutes before shredding into pieces (to keep the juiciness intact). You could thicken and use the liquid in the pot to make a gravy...but I usually never do as it's fine without.

Ingredients for the Mashed Butternut Squash:
  • 1 large or 2 small butternut squash, halved with seeds removed
  • 2-4 tbsp. of ghee (or butter)
  • 1-2 tsp. salt
Directions for the Mashed Butternut Squash:
The mashed butternut squash can either be made on the stove in a double boiler or in a water bath in the oven. I think the oven tastes slightly better...but do whichever is easier for you.
  • For stove top preparation, in addition to halving and removing the seeds of the squash, you will need to peel the skin (which I usually do before halving the squash), chop off the ends, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Place the pieces of squash in the top of a double boiler and cook with the lid on for about 1 hour, or until the squash is soft and gives easily (no resistance) when a fork is inserted into the bigger pieces. Place the squash (in batches if need be) on a plate and mash with a fork...adding the ghee/butter and salt for flavoring. Mix well and serve. 
  • For the oven, place the halved butternut squash skin sides down in a cake pan or roasting pan. Spread a tbsp. of ghee on the inner flesh of each squash half. Sprinkle with salt. Fill the pan with about 1/4 inch of water and bake in a 400F oven for 30-45 minutes (until a fork easily slides into the flesh). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes (or until not too hot to handle). Scoop the flesh from the skins and mash with a fork. Add more ghee/butter/salt if necessary before serving.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

    Get Results

    Hearty Chicken Soup