Gluten free Gingerbread Cookies

This was adapted from a recipe by Paula Deen called "Gingerbread Boys and Girls". This is my first Christmas since my children were diagnosed with Celiac's disease...and I wanted them to still be able to enjoy all the Christmas "staples" we've done in the past...so...I tried these out and they actually worked out well. I'll post the original recipe with the improvements I made in parentheses (if applicable, if no parentheses, I just did what it said). Makes about 36 cookies.


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (I did the 3/4 cup dark brown sugar...but then found the taste was off with the gluten free flours, so I also added about 3 tbsp. of honey. If the honey makes your mixture too liquidy (wrong texture), feel free to add regular table sugar)
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (I did approximately 1.88 cups each of white rice flour and gluten free all purpose flour. I also added a little coconut flour when the dough texture was off and too liquid-y. My husband doesn't particularly like the taste of the GF AP flour I buy (Bob's Red Mill)...so next time, I might just try using coconut flour to begin with.)
  • 2 tsp. ginger (I added a little more because I added extra flour and didn't want the flavors to be off. You can adjust it to your own tastes)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (added more for flavor like the ginger)
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (added more for flavor like the ginger/cinnamon)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:
  1. Cream the sugar and butter until thoroughly combined. 
  2. Add the eggs and molasses and mix until combined. 
  3. Slowly add the flour(s), ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. (The original recipe says to sift these together before adding, but I didn't cause I was lazy. I don't think it affected the taste any.)
  4. Wrap in plastic wrap (or put in a gallon ziploc bag like I do) and place in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour. (I feel I should add here that the consistency of the dough should be like little pellets that are able to stick together...not too wet, but wet enough to shape and stick together)
  5. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
  6. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (or foil...these cookies like to stick...even when not GF). 
  7. When the dough is pliable, take 1/2 cup of dough at a time and roll onto a floured board until about 1/8" thick (I like mine slightly thicker...as I prefer chewy cookies over crunchy ones. Also, I used rice flour on the board).
  8. Cut out preferred shapes with cookie cutters (boy, girl, angel, snowman, star, etc.). Re-roll the scraps until all the dough is used. 
  9. Place cookies on cookie sheets and bake for about 10 minutes (some of mine took as long as 12...but I'm in Utah...so high altitude), until just beginning to brown at the edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. 
  10. Once cooled, ice them (if desired, they're pretty good without the icing) using the following icing recipe.

    Icing:
    • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
    • 2-3 tbsp. milk
      1. Mix the sugar and milk until thoroughly combined. Dip the cookies one at a time into the icing and place them back on the wire racks to solidify (I always put paper towels under my wire racks before this step so as not to make a huge mess.).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

Get Results

Hearty Chicken Soup