School is back in session...

Hey everybody! I re-started homeschooling earlier this past week. Both kiddos did well with a re-introduction to the materials and schedule...though Brenna got a little testy today because she "didn't want to". lol We've continued from where we were before we went on vacation to Texas in June...which was with 1st grade materials. Both kiddos seem to understand everything thus far. The only snag we've run into is that Ian still isn't quite up to par with writing on that level...so instead of forcing it, I just have him do what he can and then allow him to do the rest orally (he understands all the concepts, so I don't want to leave him out or have him do something completely different).

The following picture is of their first day back. They were coloring pictures from their Egypt lessons. One side had a map and flag of Egypt with a picture of the pyramids and the back side was a "match the shadow" for the Sphinx.


Usually, we start out in the mornings on the couch with lessons in reading (Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise and Sara Buffington), grammar (based from First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise), history (The Story of the World Volume 1: Ancient Times by Susan Wise Bauer), and science (The Encyclopedia of Animals: A Complete Visual Guide, The Human Body, and Earth). Then we move to the kitchen table and do any coloring pages regarding the science or history lessons, writing (based on Writing with Ease by Susan Wise Bauer...though the lessons themselves were prepared by yours truly), spelling (Spelling Workout A by Modern Curriculum Press), and math (Saxon Math I). We also have a ton of supplemental books that we'll read when we come to them in the lessons (a book on Greek gods, for example). The children alternate history/science every other day and, for science, will study animals for 20 weeks, the human body for 10 weeks, and plants for 6 weeks. We also do "fun reading" throughout the day...which involves them looking at and reading books by themselves as well as being read to by myself or my husband.

Anyway, I'm going to try and be better with blogging and update more on their progress with school. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures from field trips and such we take as well...so that it won't all just be me ranting on and on. ;)

I'm excited for them to start school again and can't wait to see how much Brenna and Ian learn this year. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

Get Results

Hearty Chicken Soup