First real test...

My son was diagnosed with Celiac's disease on April 4th of this year. My eldest daughter was also tested at the same time...and although her levels were abnormal, they weren't considered high enough for an endoscopy to confirm Celiac's (like my son's were)...so all I can say is that she probably has it as well. I'm not going to force her to eat wheat in order to retest and get an official diagnosis as an overload of wheat after eating gluten free (which we've been doing lately and were doing before the "abnormal" results after a reaction from attending a birthday party late last month) make her vomit...so...yeah...I'll just say I'm pretty sure she has it too. 

Anyway, for me, switching to a gluten free diet really wasn't all that difficult as I'd already switched to a paleolithic diet (no grains at all) starting in January. The hardest thing, for me, is dealing with other people's kid's birthdays...as it means I have to make a gluten free cake for my children to eat or they have to go without (they're currently 4 and 3...so going without is not really an option). My first test as to whether doing this for birthdays will really be feasible/adequate is tomorrow...and I must admit, I'm a little nervous.

I'm not so much nervous about the cake I've already made...I'm just nervous about someone else feeding my children something with wheat because, chances are, they're not going to be thinking about allergies...especially not wheat allergies. I'm apprehensive about the party for this simple fact. I know my kiddos will eat the cake I made...I know they'll have fun bouncing/playing at the party...but I can't keep my eyes on them all the time and am worried that my recent indoctrination in them that "bread makes your tummy hurt and you need to tell other people who offer it to you that you can't have it" just won't work. I mean, let's face it, they are only 3 and 4...and, until very recently, gobbled up bread like there was no tomorrow. I just know that if someone does give them bread, I'll likely be cleaning up vomit from my daughter's bedsheets come Sunday morning (the prospect of which definitely less than thrills me).

I know I really shouldn't worry about it...as there's nothing I can do but deal with the consequences if it does happen, but I can't help it. "I guess I'm just a worrier...that's why my friends call me 'Whiskers'." ;)

Anyway, here's hoping for a successful and completely gluten free day tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs

Get Results

Hearty Chicken Soup